Sunday, July 29, 2007

I arrived back home yesterday, and have been trying my hardest to put this experience into words, but am finding it nearly impossible. How can I sum up an entire summer in 2 sentnces...how can I explain what I've seen, what I've heard, how I've changed. I'm not really even sure how I've changed...I still feel like me.

Even though I've only been back a few short hours, I am finding it so diffucult. My heart is homesick for the place that I've called home the past few months. Honestly, I feel more at home there than I do here right now. It's been hard living in two different worlds. I have my life in Hohoe, knowing that all the people I met and love are there....still loving...still working...still being, yet I am here. (don't worry...i still love and miss all of you here in the states!) The two worlds are so totally different...my heart is torn and I'm slowly struggling through it. I think it will take some time. I can feel my mind already forgetting what it is like living in Africa...and I never want that to happen. Ghana has bee so good to me and so good for me. I'm also having a hard time with people. It's difficult when people ask me things about it and then don't listen for the answer. I want to share my experience with them, but just find myself getting frustrated. So here is my plea for you, my friends, be patient with me. I want to share, but it may take a while. Really listen when I talk about it...if you're not interested in hearing the answer then please don't ask, but most of all again, be patient with me.

For those of you still in Hohoe, I am jealous...and miss you like crazy...hug melody and mabel for me!

I know this phase will pass...but I will just have to deal with it for now. I am excited to see all of you and let you in on my experience! Thanks for being so supportive through e-mails and comments, you have really shown the Lord's love and encouragement to me.
Hohoe...I long to be back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love you. and i'm praying for your transition. we should talk sometime soon...

Jennifer said...

first of all, i'm so thankful that you're back. second of all, it amazes me how similar our experiences are! it must be something about that african air. but know that i understand. you know that verse aboutthe Lord letting us experience certain things so that we can help and comfort others? know that it's true! i'm here for you whenever. and i'm praying for you!!

Megan Lee said...

you should blog again.

after thoughts would be great to hear.

I love you. You can do it. It might take some tears but I want read what you have to say now. Where are you at?

Anonymous said...

Ellen, I didn't read your blog the whole time I was with you in Ghana...why did I need to? I was livin' it. Anyway, I want to cry reading it now, I feel so comforted being reminded someone was there and feeling the same things with me...you weren't just another volunteer Ellen! I love you and I miss you so much and South Carolina better get ready because sometime in the near future Madame Battrey is a comin'!! HUGS!!!!
-Me