Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Trust

The Lord has been teaching me a lot over the past few weeks as I have been trying to raise support for this trip. I have to raise a total of $3,884, not including the plane ticket. When I first saw that amount my jaw literally dropped, and I thought that there was no way I could ever raise that much money. Here comes the problem: I had no choice but to try and raise it. It has been more freeing than I thought just to send out letters and know that it is completely out of my control; it is totally in God's hands now, there is nothing I can do to make it work better or to mess it up. Though it has been nice to give it up, I have to constantly remind myself that God is in control and has called me to go to Africa. A good friend showed me a verse out of 1 Thessalonians 5:24: "Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass." That has been my mantra, if you will, for the past few weeks. And man, has the Lord been faithful. I've only been raising support for about 2 1/2 weeks and I'm almost at 20% percent support raised. Praise God!
The idea of trust is not new for me either. God is really pushing it on me now. Last summer I actually got a tattoo of the Biblical word for TRUST on my foot (pietho). It comes from a verse in 1 Corinthians that claims that we should not trust in ourselves, but trust in God. He is faithful. So I am learning that idea again, knowing that God will prove Himself faithful!

4 comments:

erin said...

beautiful ellen! i found your blog. i am so so excited for you and what God is going to do in and through you this summer. and well in the whole experience..even now. i best get a letter sometime...i can facebook you my address. let us pray for you. this is huge. oh goodness..youre going to love it and be eternally changed. praying that every minute of every day is a preparation to what you will do over there. and just keep playing shane and shane...that song gets me so pumped.

Megan Lee said...

Trust.

I think that is something where no matter how much I can grow I will always need to grow more in trust with the Lord. Well said and I'm sooo excited that this is happening. The money makes it very real. I'm proud of you. It's really hard to ask people for money and I think it makes you really think about the reasonings of asking. Are they pure and with a purpose? I had to ask my church and yes they openly gave me the money but it was my first time and it was hard to ask. Keep up dating us!

Anonymous said...

YAY ELLEN!
That's amazing that you've raised all that money so quickly....isn't it amazing how God works in our lives. I know God will continue to bless you and this trip.
-Brom Byour Briend
Ryan

Anonymous said...

Good for you! It's amazing what happens when we just let go and get a hold of the fact that it is God in control, not us (yeah, I have to remind myself of that every day!). So how is the fundage now? I have a feeling we're going to be great friends and I can't wait to meet you this summer!!

Bethany