Friday, June 22, 2007

The Itsy Bitsy Spider

I have no idea where to begin. I have seen so many things and done so many things that I never thought I would do, and I have only been here three weeks. I feel as if I can write for three days and still not relay to you all my thoughts and experiences. Today was my last day at St. Francis. A spot opened up at an organization called pro-link which focuses on HIV/AIDS counseling, which I think is perfect for me! I start there on monday. Anyway...St. francis has been amazing, but I felt that the teachers there were doing an amazing job and i was just being a hinderance to their work as they were trying to rearrange their schedules for me. So today we played shapes and colors bingo, a game that the kids have started to look forward to every friday...it took them a while to get it since the language barrier is so huge...but they LOVE it! We had also been working on the Itsy Bitsy Spider song...which has been a challenege. As I left today all the kids stood up and starting singing it...my eyes filled with tears. It was such a great feeling! I'm sad to leave the school, but also excited to start something new.
The school isn't the only thing that is changing around here. All but about 5 of the volunteers were here fore 3 weeks so this weekend everyone is leaving. It's been harder than I anticipated to see them go as many of us formed close frienships. I hate goodbyes, so the past few days have been hard. I'm ready for the new group to come in though, it is time for a change. 30 girls crammed in a house can get a little tiresome and I'm dying for some change. I've been praying that I can be helpful and a friend to the new volunteers...I want to ease their fears as best I can. I've been looking over Pslam 51 about asking God to create a clean heart...so I hope that is what i can have as new people come....an open and clean heart to begin and form new friendships.
In the afternoons I have been pretty regularly going to the Eugemot orphanage. Those kids have stolen my heart from the minute I met them. As soon as we stepped out of the van they ran up and embraced all of us. They have SO much love to give. I don't think I've loved anyone as quickly as I have loved these kids. I'm going to share a few of their personalities with you.

first there is Catherine, she is 13 and has a face that is so stern, yet she is full of grace. she seems so hard on the outside, but is one of the first to come and greet us when we come to visit. she can carry a 15 lb bucket of water on her head with no problem. eventhough she doesn't talk much, we have a connection.

Godwin who is no more than 7, but you'd think he was 25 with his maturity level. I feel like he takes on so much responsiblity at the orphange. He is so serious all the time; he acts tough, but I know that he wants affection. He'll come up to you with a serious face on and sit down and put his head on your shoulder and stay that way for as long as you let him. I wonder what his life has been like...what all he has seen and heard. My goal is to make him smile. Wordsearches and sharpened pencils seem to do the trick. He is by far my favorite...he is tough love.

then there is Bless...he is 12 going on 18. He is so interested in people...he comes up to us and just asks us question after question. If i were 8 years younger, we'd get married haha. I can tell that he has a heart of gold, and it hurts me to know that his chances of adoption are slim because he is so old. Parents usually want to adopt babies. He is making me ponder and pray about adopting and older child when I am ready for a family. I worry that he will not be able to afford secondary school, since only primary school (grades 1-6) is offered at the orphanage. He can do great things. He also LOVES Jesus. Yesterday out of nowhere he began asking me these intense religious questions....like "how do I know the Bible is true" and "what does faith really mean?" I was so excited that he was questioning things because i think that a lot of ghanaian Christianity is just what people accept without making their faith their own. Me and bless...we're going to be good friends.

One thing I love about ghana is that the people are not afraid to go up and ask you if you are a Christian. granted, it makes some people uncomfortable, but I really admire their honesty. I wish everyone in America was that honest. A friend from here is actually dating a ghanaian (for over a year...talk about committment!!!!) and her boyfriend is so honest and I really appreciate it. we were talking one day and he mentioned out of nowhere that my sarcasm could really hurt people...I told him thank you...he's keeping me accountable without me even realizing it.

I have started to get used to the povery here and am realizing how truely happy the people here are. Just because their definition of happy does not match mine does not mean that i need to feel sorry for them. It's funny thinking on this experience and how coming in you think you're going to change the world. Then you realize that you aren't changing anything...it is changing you. there is nothing that I can do so help Ghana...there are small things of course, but for the most part Ghana is helping itself. I have just been glad to witness it. well my online time is dwindling so until next time!
Continue praying and loving and changing. Can't wait to see all of you in a month!

PS-all of your comments and encouraging words have meant so much to me...it has kept me going when I have been so frustrated. I appreciate all your support from the bottom of my heart!

8 comments:

Sarah Beth said...

i love you ellen :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Princess,
Great Blog, and I love your in depth analysis of Ghana and yourself. You are truly a child of
God, and an amazing woman.
I hope to talk to you this weekend. We are gathering for Andrews birthday Sunday.
I love you,
Dad

Anonymous said...

hey pretty girl, I miss you so much! it is such a joy to read about ghana and how much the Lord is teaching you! i can't tell you how excited i am that you're going to work with HIV/AIDS counseling! I could read your blog for 3 days and not get tired of it...I'm praying, and i love you SO much!

Jennifer said...

Ellen, I am soooo proud of you! It's amazing to read how the Lord is changing you and opening your eyes to see His precious children in Ghana. It is encouraging for me to read and I understand EVERYTHING you're saying. It's like I'm reading my journal from last summer. Keep trusting in the Lord and allow Him to lead and guide you over the next days and weeks. I'll be praying for the new job, that He will show you where He needs you! Can't wait to hear more about your journey!!

Anonymous said...

Ellen:

Sounds like Ghana is shaping up to be just the experience you were hoping it would be. It's one of the great thing about experiencing different cultures and lifestyles that in the end, you will always change and grow more than the people you are there to help.

One question though, what are you doing for fun/recreation/relaxation? lets hear about ghana social life and some of your travels. have you been to the beach, to the mountains, out in the bush, in the desert? have you had much time to travel or are you working pretty much nonstop?

Keep up the good blogging...

Love you,

Hugh

Kelly said...

El, I love the updates. It's amazing how your perspective can change and your ideas too can change so quickly. You are learning alot; I can tell. I love you so much!

You are such an inspiration to me on how to be in that type of situation. God is working in you with these children and in them as well. I can't wait to hear more!

Update: I leave in 9 days for Australia so in your internet time next week, start checking for my blog updates!!

I LOVE YOU!!
Kel

Marie said...

Hey Ellen!
I thought of you this evening when we had a youth leaders' meeting, and someone asked us if we were having a fourth of July gathering at our house. Rick said it was a rumor. Bianca said, "you know how those rumors get started." I said, "Ha! Ellen's not here to start it!" and so on. It occurred to me that I miss you! I'll really miss you during Blowout! Anyway, I'm proud of you! You're doing an amazing thing for Jesus. Not all of us have the opportunities that you have right now. So you are representing all of us, plus Him! You go, girl!

Brandon said...

Bellllen!

it's a quarter till 3 here and in about thirty minutes my house will be stirring and noel, my dad, and i will be going to Honduras for the week-long mission trip with our church...

"then you realize that you aren't changing anything...it is changing you."

i needed those words right before i leave for a trip with questionable motives and a cynical heart. i think one of the best things we can ask is that we are changed by our adventures, because a lasting change in us will eventually become a lasting change in this world. thanks for your thoughts and your commitment to where God is leading you. make an awkward statement for me in Ghana!

peace and passion,
Brandon