Tuesday, June 12, 2007

My new home!

I've been in Hohoe, Ghana for a week and a half now and it is beginning to feel like home. I am getting into the slow paced life that the people here affectionately call ghana time. So I'll give you guys a quick run down of what's been going on so far. I actually got to ghana at about 2:00 am last sunday...exhausted and cranky from traveling. Man, let me tell you, i was so nervous about being here and kept thinking to myself "what on earth am I doing?" Things are much better now, don't worry.
Hohoe is such an endearing town. The streets are dirt and filled with potholes, but I love them. I love everything about this area. the fact that i can walk out of the compound and see mountains and a beautiful sky has me baffled. My favorite part of the town is a HUGE bronze statue of a woman smack dab in the middle of downtown. we call it Miss Ghana, and it is the focal point for all our journey's in town.
The volunteer team has been amazing...I love them all and we get along great besides the fact that we are 30 girls inside a small compound. SO...onto my placement. I have been placed at St. Francis Basic Demonstration School teaching 54 five year olds. I have quickly learned that teaching is not my forte, nor do I enjoy it very much, but the kids are amazing. there have been 3 that have stuck out to me.
Matilda: She is a firecracker...she's tough. She's the kind of girl who won't take crap from anyone. she loves to sing and dance and hold your hand, but is quick to throw off her dress when it's time to play soccer with the boys.
Robert: who introduces himself to me every day, saying "hello, I am robertsolomon." I knew he was a keeper from the minute he raised his hand and said he wanted to be president when he grew up.
Selase: I think that she is the voice of the Holy Spirit to me. She knows about as much English as i know Ewe. Our only communication has been through eye contact, but i feel like i can read her like a book...and she can see straight through me. The first day i was at the school the kids crowded around me because I'm "yevu", a white person...and she just put her hand on my arm as if to say...it's ok, I'm glad you're here. I think I would have lost it without her.
So the teaching is going slow, but I'm enjoying it and learning a TON!
This weekend we took a trip to the coast...it was an adventure to say the least with our van breaking down and us having to push it Little Miss Sunshine style. this weekend was the first time that I have ever desired to see a middle class suburban neighborhood where people are living comfortably. There is SO much poverty here. I just want to turn my head and look away and forget all that i have seen. But I guess this is God's way of showing me what the world is really like...I cant' escape from it. It forces me to be active and deal with what i am uncomfortable with. I just weep for these people, knowing that in 7 weeks I'm going back to hotwater and a bathroom. These people do have love though...so much love. they give up everything to make someone happy. I love that about them.
Yesterday i met a boy who had been a child soldier...it shocked me. He was at the eugemot orphanage, where i am going to be going in the afternoons. He was so kind and accomodating...my eyes whelled with tears thinking of all that he has seen and heard. No child should have to experience that.
So ghana has been changing me...and i know that it has a lot more to teach me. I am anxious to see what else the lord has in store. I keep having to remind myself that perfect love drives out all fear.
sorry this has been so long....I could have typed so much more, but I know no one would have read it all. I love and miss all of you. Continue putting me and ghana in your prayers...you are in mine.

15 comments:

Sarah Beth said...

ellen, that sounds so phenomenal! i'm so happy for you! matilda sounds AMAZING, please bring her home with you. i know that this experience is going to teach you so much and i'm so glad that your heart is open to it! i love you!

Anonymous said...

ellen,
I'm so happy your learning a lot and having such an adventure. I'm praying for you and don't limit your blogs...because i've got nothing else to do and would love to hear about your time in Ghana.
your friend,
Ryan

Kelly said...

write more! write more! tell me you're taking pictures! oh, to hear that you are well makes me feel at ease. i'm reading every word and can picture you in my head with this sweet girl who touches your arm and at the same time your heart. i love reading it all and can't wait to hear more! 3 weeks and you'll be reading about my journeys! haha. love and miss you.

Megan Lee said...

my dear sister.

you sound so happy and right where you need to be. I wish I was there with you. I thought a lot about my kids today. Take it all in, let it wash over you, feel.

Ellen, just the fact that you are there trying to teach those kids is a mirical to them so keep teaching and learning with passion. Tell me about the O. I would love to hear more.

I love you and am praying. Journal as much as possible.

Anonymous said...

hi. i could have read so much more. it sounds like the Lord is rocking your face off. :) He's just good like that...i'm praying for you and i miss you a ton...the other day, i picked up my phone to call you and thought "oh wait, she's in africa...duh." ha, i love you SO much!

Anonymous said...

Ellen! I miss you and I loved reading that, I'm so excited for you..please write more when you get the chance. Love you and I'm praying for you...
your twin-Catherine

taryn said...

Lellenpants,

I loved reading your latest entry. YOur heart makes mine smile so broadly. I love you and your love for others. Please journal a lot and take many photos and most of all, be. Take in everything you can so you can bring it back here and squeeze out your little sponge to change this part of the world too. I desire for you to come home and change me. My welled with tears just reading your blog. God is alive and He is good. Rest in that and seek out every lesson that He has for you. I heart you kiddo!

Taryn

Anonymous said...

Princess, your are an amazing, caring young woman. I am more proud of you every day. I know your path is difficult, but you will be stronger from the effort. the kids there are blessed to have you.
Call when you can.
I love you.
Dad

Jennifer said...

this makes me so excited for you!!! i can't believe the prayers that have already been answered! even as you wrote about your precious friends, i thought back to my friends and when i first met them. they will never leave your heart!!!!!! i'm praying for you friend and look forward to hearing more!!!

Anonymous said...

Please write as much as you will! My heart swells as I read through it. I am so glad God has made you such an obedient child so that He can do such amazing things through you. Praise God that He works in you and through you according to His good purposes! I love you, El-El!

life in 14b said...

lellen,

please write more... that would be really neat. just here at camp... bored... and wanting to read about some africa.

jason

Anonymous said...

Ellen---you can write ten million more words and I will joyfully read them all!!! You are doing such an amazing job---I am so proud of you----so type me a novel of ghana if you will--love you. KRs

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh! I just read your other comments and you see everyone loves you so much....your Dad's msg. put tears in my eyes.
He is right though--you are doing an incredibly hard thing and you will learn so much from these hardships...I can't wait to hear more and am already brainstorming on ways for you to use this experience when you return....Rowan is throwing a fit and I am going to give him a smooch from his Auntie El....Love you again. Krs

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis,

As a future educator I have the utmost sympathy for your attempt to teach 54 5-year-olds. The only thing worse would be trying to teach 5 54-year-olds (just kidding). Keep your heart in the right place and you can do no wrong. I am proud of you for sacrificing all the frivolous things we can't seem to let go. Keep your spirits up and remember that there is a legion of Ellen-supporters shouting your praises in the U.S. of A.

Love,

Gage
(Your older but youngest brother)

Anonymous said...

Ellen,
Hang in there with the teaching. The kids want consistency and guidance they just don't know how to show it. You are a wonderful example the kindness and generosity this world should have more of. Just be confident and be yourself and they will love you as much as we all do. I am very proud of you and believe me I understand how challenging teaching can be!

Love,
Faith